Friday, May 27, 2005

Kingdom of Heaven

Good movie!

Found Orlando Bloom's acting to be good.
The movie's beauty lies in letting the viewers draw a parallel between the movie-plot and the current middle-east problem and Islamophobia among westerners.

'Religious zealots' and 'mercenaries' are strange-folks, it is very difficult to understand what actually drives them to this kind of madness! 'Kingdom of Heaven' tries to explore the reason why Muslims and Christians fought such bloody battles for the holy-land and strangely the movie just-stops of explaining 'the reason behind this madness'.

In the last scene of the movie, inspite of seeing the mindless-violence, both Bloom and his love-interest start their journey back to Jerusalem for yet another fight!

Nice segments in the movie:
i. The protagonist says, 'god doesnt speak to me, even in the place where Christ was crucified'.
ii. Saladin says 'nothing' and later smilingly 'everything'.. in response to Bloom's question as to 'why is he fighting for Jerusalem inspite of the heavy-casuality?'
iii. Last scene when Bloom and his love-interest ride their horse enthusiastically to (my guess follows) join the crusaders in their journey towards Jerusalem.

4 comments:

Accidental Fame Junkie said...

Heyy Sancho, I have seen "Kingdom of Heaven" too and I agree. It's one of those rare cerebral Hollywood movies that I have seen. I thought the director walked the tightrope between supporting the Islamic and the Christian sentiments. I loved the cinematography though. Don't you?

prasie said...

I agree with most of your views but I beg to differ with you on one respect, I thought Orlando Bloom didn't act too well (especially in the scene in which Bloom sits on the hill in which christ was crucified).

prasie said...

Thalaiva,
why don't you link my blog to yours?

sanchapanzo said...

AFJ,

Agreed, the cinematography is top-class!

Prasie,

I was happy that 'Orlando Bloom didn't overact'!
Sure, will add your blog to my links.