Saturday, October 01, 2005

LOTR

LOTR 1

One of the really longish movies one could have ever seen!
The length of the movie induces a boredom with you and when you get to see no usual-climax, you are bound to feel let-down. After all one doesnt buy tickets and spend 3 hours for nothing.. i.e not watching a movie which has no climax :(
This is what I felt, when I watched this movie for the first time, before it ran away with loads of Oscars. I had heard of this book called 'Lord of the Rings' through couple of my friends. But did not really get to read this book. I think had I read it, maybe I could have appreciated this movie better. The computer-animation used in this movie in various sequences also, brought boredom to me, since I think I had seen n-number of movies with somewhat similar style of animation. I later decided to skip LOTR 2, because I didnt want to torture myself for yet another 3 hours, without understanding the story and with no climax(since LOTR 3 is in the offing). But, somehow got inspired to goto the theatre to see LOTR 3, since I was told that this is the third and last part. Also, this third and last one bagged loads of Oscars, so I thought this better be good. Of course, it's the same old sequence of events, again during the last-part also, but nevertheless what mattered was 'I saw LOTR'.

Now that I have LOTR 1 and 2 cds with me, I thought why not give it a try i.e to watch LOTR 1 and 2 at one go(its been atleast 2-3 years after I saw LOTR 1 in a theatre in Madurai). I took the challenge and this time, I was keen to follow the story and characters and concentrate on the plots and sub-plots which made this movie such a 'talk of the town'. I achieved watching it at one go, but not really sure whether I liked it!

Noticed a couple of things:
i. The background music kind of reminds me of Godfather style of music(not the flute-tune, but the treacherous-buildup tune with a violin)
ii. NZ is a beauty of a country, but I bet Indian movies exploit such locales best than any other moviemaker!
iii. Hugo Weaving appearing on screen reminded me of another 3-phased boring movie 'Matrix'(what was originally not supposed to have a sequel)!
iv. To me, the best sequel-mode movie ever made must be 'back to the future'. It was top-class with an interesting plot!
v. JRR Tolkein is supposed to have been born in South Africa and spent his younger years in South Africa. Sure, JRR Tolkein must be immensely talented to have written such a novel. South Africans seem to be really outstanding in a variety of activities inspite of all the turmoil that nation was put into for so long. For example, Ian McEwan(booker winning writer), hoardes of top-class golfers, great cricketers including Kevin Pietersen, top-class rugby players. Among all these folks, the best ambassadors of this country after Tolkein, has to be the top-class golfers that they manufacture at ease!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sanchapanzo,

LOTR is one amazing book. JRR Tolkien himself had said that one of the goals for writing the book was the elucidation of truth and the encouragement of good morals in the real world.

With restrospection to their advantage, lots of people have said lots of things about the book. One group goes that JRR Tolkein was so aggrieved that England did not have the mythology that the Greeks or Romans had that he wanted to write his own version of it.

Others have equated the desire for the ring to be the desire for the atom bomb. That is why in the book he shows that any human who desires the ring to be corrupted by it even though he is basically good. An example is Boromir's brother - Faramir. Though hobbits are affected by that, they are affected to only a lesser extent. Especially someone like Sam ...

It really is an amazing book and you should definitely read it and then watch the movie again. Though the movie has commercialized certain elements, it really is one of the best adaptations of a book that I've seen.

As the philosopher-wizard Gandalf says, "If you have walked all these years with your ears closed and mind asleep, wake up now!" :-)

sanchapanzo said...

Raman,

Others have equated the desire for the ring to be the desire for the atom bomb.
Nice connection i.e 'ring' with 'nuclear bomb'!

Sure, will try to read the book!