Friday, July 04, 2008

Lamppost conversations

It happens so often to me.
I would have had a really long not so productive and silly conversation with a friend (maybe in his house or my house or maybe in a playground or movie hall or bus-stand etc.,). And the time ticks real fast and soon it will be time to say goodbye. And invariably the "goodbye's" are told under a lamp post on the road side near to my friend's place or mine. I think I would have stood there before my friend all the while hoping that I will get to hear some "super truth" or "wisdom" or "totally profound" or "a mantra which will give me nirvana" or "the reason why I am born on this earth etc.,". Simply put, the objective of the entire conversation is to figure out who am i or what am i here for etc., invariably you get to hear these only from your close friends or folks, who know you better than anyone.

And just when 'goodbye' is about to be told under the lamp post, my friend utters something totally profound and we get embroiled in that topic. And both of us hate to let the conversation die, so continue on and on, but there comes the time when both of us run out of ideas and we both wonder 'what next?' and we just say "good bye" and walk our way towards our respective houses. It is so strange that the best part of our conversation invariably happens on road under a lamp post.

This hasn't happened once or twice but so many number of times and the worst part is "you feel what you went through can't possibly be nirvana" or "can't possibly be the super truth or wisdom". Since I haven't seen 'super truth' or 'nirvana' or 'wisdom', I can't possibly identify them when I see it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So how can u want it when u dont know what it is? Maganay endha maadhere sodhappala logicka marandhu blog panninaa unnakku edhaavadhu award kedaikkumnu nenaippaa? First we have to know what it is, hence identification(recognition) is not the thing. The only point is to find out what exactly is behind that name(whatever u would like to call that), trusting that the person who gave the name(nirvana or something else) had an authentic experience which will also hold true for us. And meanwhile when we had all those significant conversations... and missed, someone used the lamppost for a really significant purpose; they established their kingdom... they pissed.
A zen monk would have probably been enlightened seeing the embarassing beauty of the whole episode... and somehow we always miss the piss... Strange! And the G O D has always been there in the D O G ! how come we always miss seeing it?!
- rangalaaraa

gils said...

ROTFL..i can vouch for tht :)) epdi machi ithelaam :d :D

Anupama said...

I identify with what you said to a great extent...I have a friend from college with whom I have shared similar experiences. We would visit each other's house but every single time our conversation at the gate while saying goodbye was longer than the one in the house. It was as if we remembered what was most important just when we were about to let go. And isn't that true of all of us...we don't know what we have until we lose it...or in this case about to lose it.

Nice post :)

G. Siva Shankar said...

ayoo ayoo thangala da....Though I agree with ur views on Lamppost conversation, most often than not we tend to forget the profound statements..anyways, gd to see u r still vetti :)