Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Hitchcock by Weekend

Dial M for Murder:
This movie was similar to stage plays with its perfectly well-timed dialogues.
It was in the same mould as a Sherlock Holmes or Agatha Christie novel.
The plot of this movie was lifted and was internalised for the movie 'The Perfect Murder' which had Gwyneth Paltrow and Michael Douglous in the lead.

Psycho, Strangers on a train :

Yet(both) another Hitchcock movie, which I could not really appreciate much cause I have already seen countless movies which are of the same-genre i.e thriller, killings, multiple personality disorder, etc.,
It is widely conceived that Hitchcock is the father of all such thriller-dramas etc,. genre of movies, but sadly I find quite happy to watch those cover-versions of Hitchcock movies than the original cause the cover-versions were able to build-well on the basement already provided by Hitchcock.
Guess, the same logic also applies to all those remixes I get to hear, particularly those old hindi classics. Somehow, the same remixes of English pop-songs really get me irritated, cause I could not digest the remix of something that I knew already. I get to enjoy the remix as long as that song is new to me.

Vertigo:

Good movie.
This has to be the best Hitchcock movie I have seen. The plot was refreshing and the pregnant silences also made up nice viewing. This movie was based on a French book. Remember Kubrick also makes movies based on novels mostly. Guess, making movie out of novels must be an easy task i.e since the director knows the plot in-and-out and also difficult at the same time, cause they have to bring the words in the book alive on screen.
I feel Manoj Night Shyamalan must have derived lots of inspiration from Hitchcock climax style, where the protagonist tries to recapture all the events that had happened and finds the solution. Shyamalan's movies are classy i.e 'The Sixth Sense', 'Unbreakable'(my favourite), 'The Village' (forget 'The Signs' - the worst), thanks to their novel way of allowing the viewer to understand all the missing pieces of puzzle that they were exposed to for atleast 3/4ths of the movie and finally in the last 15 or 20 minutes of the movie, the 'reason' is provided alongwith clips of past-events which supports this reasoning.

The Longest Yard:

Bad movie.
Not the usual Adam Sandler movie one gets to see, with mindless fun. In this Adam Sandler takes himself a bit too seriously, which actually doesnt suit him. And the movie is full of cliches and extremely boring and you also know what is going to happen for sure in the climax. Hardly any surprises in this movie.

4 comments:

Vidya said...

How do you manage to write up so many reviews ? I am always surprised !

Frankly I prefer books to movies. Recently , I saw the da Vinci Code movie and kept wondering all along that the book was so much better.

The only movie , to my knowledge, which was better than the book was the Murder in the Orient Express.

Vidya

sanchapanzo said...

vidya,

:)

I found that if I had to read through a book it will take maybe 10 hours minimum(10-20 pages 30 minutes) and on an average books come with lots of pages.

But at the same time if I am going to watch a movie, it will probably take 90 minutes to 180 minutes to the max. Thus, found that movies are not really taxing while books were. I was having this book craze during college-time(as a day-scholar) and once I went to a hostel, the movie-craze caught on as I found more movies that can be shared between friends/accomplices in hostel. And also, the hang-over because of movies are not that bad, but the same due to books is quite wild.

Also, I enjoy quizzes and mostly I get irritated when I see a movie clipping, which is totally new to me. Thus, I started watching movies religiously ever since.

ParChaser said...

Interesting comments about some classic Hitchcock movies. I see your point about others building on the foundation that Hitchcock created. Psycho was revoutionary when it was released, but it has probably lost something over the years, simply because everyone knows the premise. At the same time, I think Strangers on a Train is as good today as it ever was.

sanchapanzo said...

ah films,

you have got a fantastic blog. true, 'strangers on a train' was nice watch.
one more thing, that i noticed is that hitchcock and shyamalan both seem to make movies about rural America(or small towns).