Friday, July 07, 2006

Freedom from the known

Some excerpts taken from the book "Freedom from the known" by J. Krishnamurti...

"We are trying to understand violence(which is fundementally the problem,either from you to others or from others to you) as a fact,not as an idea,as a fact which exists in the human being,and the human being is myself.And to go into the problem i must be completely vulnerable,open,to it.I must expose myself to myself - not necessarily expose myself to you because you might not be interested - but i must be in a state of mind that demands to see this thing right to the end and at no point stops and says i will not go further.
Now it must be obvious to me that i am a violent human being.I have experienced violence in anger,violence in my sexual demands, violence in hatred, violence in jealousy and so on - i have experienced it, i have known it, and i say to myself, 'i want to understand this whole problem not just one fragment of it expressed in war, but this aggression in man which also exists in the animals and of which i am a part.'
Violence is not merely killing another.It is violence when we use a sharp word, when we make a gesture to brush away a person, when we obey because there is fear.So violence isnt merely organised butchery in the name of god, in the name of society or country.Violence is much more subtle, much deeper, and we are enquiring into the very depths of violence.
But to be beyond violence i cannot suppress it, i cannot deny it, i cannot say,' Well, its a part of me and that's that ', or 'i dont want it'. I have to look at it, i have to study it, i must become very intimate with it and i cannot become very intimate with it if i condemn it or justify it.We do condemn it though; we do justify it.Therefore i am saying, stop for the time being condemning it or justifying it.
It is no good just sitting back and asking, 'How am i to get such a mind?' You have to want it as you want your next meal, and to have it you must see that what makes your mind dull and stupid is this sense of invulnerability which has built walls round itself and which is part of this condemnation and justification.If the mind can be rid of that,then you can look, study, penetrate, and perhaps come to a state that is totally aware of the whole problem."

--
This passage was sent by my friend via email.
Somehow me thought this had some amazing similarity to 'Johari window', the problem of course is the workability of this total-introspection !

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! Columbia college sonora England ferrari new

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! » »