Thursday, September 21, 2006

Unbreakable

Lion King 2:
I wish I hadn't see this movie. But somehow the compulsive movie watcher in me took over and I just hoped that the movie will end !

Dude Where's the party yaar:
Bad movie. Wish I had not seen this movie, but blame it on my bad-selection of movies sometimes.
Now, I think I am going to become a little more selective in watching movies.
Kal Penn - huge waste of talent like his, in this movie.

Unbreakable :
This movie is one of my all-time favourite one.
I remember seeing this movie for the first time in a theatre in Madurai called "Manicka Vinayagar". And it was a night show and I was keen not to miss out this movie. It's quite a trend there to dislodge any movie which does not have full-house immediately and replace with tamil-dubbed some English/HongKong action movie. So, I did not take a chance of post-poning my watching this movie for the next-day. I went to the theatre without much of an expectation. Then, I have not seen "The Sixth Sense", but just came to know about Shyamalan's meteoric rise.
"Manicka Vinayagar" theatre is well known for their motley editing-crew who cut short any given movie. You might really get irritated with all these random cuts then and there, but it wont bother you if you are watching the movie for the first time, cause you never know what scene really got cut. After watching this movie, I had a fairly long walk back to my place for a nap. The walk was extremely memorable, cause that really got me thinking into the overall plot of the movie. Somehow, Shyamalan clearly bowled me clean then.
And after approximately 6 years after watching this movie, I got hold of "Unbreakable" again in my computer. And I could not really wait for long to watch that movie again, with more attention than ever. And did I not enjoy this movie !
It's a real class work by Shyamalan for sure.
The best part was the search by Samuel L Jackson as Elijah for Bruce Wills as David Dunn. I think all of us sometimes really wonder the reason for our existence in this planet. And one just cant do much but appreciate Elijah in not giving-up, but trying to find out 'why he is here(earth) in first-case?'.

And the interest Bruce Wills shows to really identify "who he really is" is spectacularly portrayed. I think there are folks who really show tremendous interest in spirituality or sports or astrology or work, which are nothing but avenues through which one really find out who they really are.

It sounds such a perfect story and one cant but really wonder how Shyamalan pulled-off such a fantastic movie.

Vettayadu Vilayadu:

Got to saw this 'hot' movie in PVR after a huge-delay. Surprisingly it was housefull even for a weekday night-show. It's quite a boring movie. Gautham with his rowing shots and sometimes the overindulgence of animation/graphics was too predicatable right from the start. Kamal looked awful in a role of a policeman and so many sequences in this movie were taken in a rude unaesthetic sense that you wonder why the director had to include them in the story. Wonder if Jyothika has really set the standards for female-lead to overact in tamil movies. There are so many aspiring actors(female) who copy her over-acting style.

Sillendru Oru Kaadhal:
Yet another forgettable movie, but seems to be better than VV. Bhoomika looked brilliant for most part of the movie, forgive her outlandish costume she wears during the closing stages of the movie. Santhanam gets poor screen presence and so does Vadivelu, so nothing much left for slapstick comedy fans.

And I happen to saw Arul Mani(http://al-lude.livejournal.com/) in the theatre but could not speak to him :-(

I remember reading Beatzo's spectacular post(http://beatzo.livejournal.com/116945.html) on Sillendru Oru Kaadhal songs infact that was nothing but a damn good tribute to A R Rahman.

4 comments:

Reel Fanatic said...

Unbreakable is one of my all-time faves too ... I wish M Night had followed with a sequel rather than the bad movies he's turned out in his last two attempts .. I found "Lady in the Water" to be virtually unwatchable

sanchapanzo said...

hmm.. me yet to watch 'Lady in the water'..
i thought signs was bad, but 'the village' again came up with a rather totally out-of-the-box concept. one cant help admiring his content sometimes..

G. Siva Shankar said...

Hmm...Unbreakable was good...I like Signs becuz everything in the movie got connected in the end....it might have been silly, but was nice to watch...Village could be forgotten....Lady in the Water was really boring for me though I had some good looking gals to oggle at....

VV was not that bad da...it was ok...found it boring during the Romantic scenes between Kamal and Jyothika...I believe if only a person can act they can overact...so no trouble there for Jyothika on Acting or Overacting.......wondered why they put in the Homo stuff there...however good time pass....and that what counts in the end....

So JOK is not worth watching eh ?

sanchapanzo said...

Somehow I could not simply stand "Signs". Shyamalan was carrying this movie along spectacularly, but somehow lost the race when he showed the aliens.
I found same disappointing-stuff in the movie "King Kong"(the new one which had Jack Black). This movie was going along so superbly and all of a sudden the director chose to introduce "King Kong", else it could have been a super Jack Black-movie.

regarding JoK, dont go by my word da.. i thought it was maybe 100 times better than VV.