Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Movies by weekend

The Namesake:

Ordinary movie. What could have been a ripper of a movie was sadly lost.
I have serious doubts on any biopic(running through years/decades) being flawless!
What a star cast for this movie - Kal Penn, Tabu, Irfan - but sadly the director loses them all with some rather pathetic plots all around. I have not read the book by Jhumpa Lahiri, but will try my hand on that soon.
Hopefully, the book is much better than this movie.
I really wish Mira Nair could have done a better job when Kal loses Irfan and then decides to shave his head.
There is something so innocent about Kal Penn's role, which the director manages to lose. Irfan's story and Tabu's story also could have been developed better. I think you cant have too many plots all around and still manage to pull off a coup. Only very few movies like Steven Soderberg or Alejandro González Iñárritu or Paul Thomas Anderson (Magnolia) or Darren Aronofsky(Requiem for a Dream) can pull it off.

8 1/2:

Federico Fellini movie was simply puzzling all the way. Some of the imagery reminded me of David Lynch style of film-making with dreams allowing the audience never to really understand where the story is really running.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang:

Bad movie. I only wished I had given a skip watching this movie !

Barbarians at the Gate:

Not sure, if I enjoyed this movie. It was more like a drama and the movie just coasted along thanks to interesting dialogues. But this movie is certainly nowhere near Wall Street's class.

5 comments:

G. Siva Shankar said...

Don't think Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was that bad dude...anyways thts what I thgt...

Vidya said...

I too was disappointed with The Namesake movie. I probably will have to read the book now to understand the "concept" better.

sanchapanzo said...

sivi ji,

somehow i just could not appreciate 'kiss kiss bang bang', i really wished it was much better..

vidya,

ah.. sorry to know that you too felt the movie 'the namesake' was disappointing. with regard to reading the book to appreciate it better, let me know your thoughts on the book after you give it a read.. if good, pass a message..

remainconnected said...

Guess what, you are tagged.

Sunitha said...

The book "The Namesake" is a 'should-not-miss'. U may find it hard to believe , but I have read it 3 times over the years :) I simply love the style of Jhumpa Lahiri. I liked her first book "Interpreter of Maladies" as well. But I have not seen this movie. Now that I have heard many people say that the movie was pathetic, I dont feel like seeing it. But I am left wondering how can such a beautiful book be made into a bad movie ? :)